Blodnick II

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Another adventure in Denver cuisine.

Tonight I got the worst craving for some sushi.  Like really really bad.  And the stuff they try and pawn off as sushi at King Soopers was not going to cut it this time.

I went to a sushi place just a couple of blocks from where I live.  I popped in here once before, but got a little sticker shock and barely ate anything.  This time I was prepared for how much good sushi was going to run me.  I got the White Tuna Shashimi, a spicy tuna roll (2 really), and some edemame (beans...yummy!)

Oh, I also tried to get some hot saki.  What I got was a beer called "Asahi."  Crap.  Good, but crap.  I love sitting at the bar and looking at all the colorful ingredients and wondering what they are.  There are a lot of different kinds of fish eggs (I got some flying fish fish eggs!)  There is the block of something egg yellow, but couldn't possibly be egg.  Tons of very fresh looking things.  I watched them make a spider roll (soft shell crab) and watched as they put the little guys claw hanging out of the last roll.  Very creative, and made me wanna puke.

But the nice thing was this.  I sat there long enough that they just started giving me stuff.  "Here, would you like to try house special?"  "Don't mind if I do."  It was pretty much every fish and sea creature they had behind the bar rolled up into one big fat roll.  It was...ummm...well I ate it. 

All in all, excellent and almost worht the $30 I threw down.  Have a good weekend kids and see you all Sunday night.