Blodnick II

Monday, May 10, 2004

Thai lettuce wraps

So I decided I needed to give my new cookbook a try. When we were at the Chinese restaurant this weekend we watched them serve lettuce leaves with a crumbly meat filling that people spooned into the lettuce, rolled and ate.

Well it just so happens that my new book has those in it. I have never shopped so much in the specialty Asian section in my life. I mean I bought some stuff called fish sauce. Surprisingly it does not smell fishy!

Spicy Thai peppers and lots of fresh herbs round it out. The verdict? Pretty darn good...could have been spicier. But very very simple to make, once you find all the stuff.

Which brings me to my very first "I miss California" item. I miss the selection of produce in California. It was kinda pricey but it was all perfect. Not a blemish or rotting piece of produce in the place. And the selection...ohhh the selection. You never ever had to worry about finding stuff.

On another note...God its great to be out here.